Site Network:

 



A Noble Act...

There is a blog out there that I read often....and you can probably guess is mostly about animals and why we love them. Pam (the blogger) left some very nice comments on my blog concerning the death of Cia and also made wonderful comments on her blog (here) about why we choose to go through the things that we do. I would like to say thank you. As the week progresses, I find myself able smile more and cry less. I find this as a positive sign that I am able to remember the great moments and hurt less over the empty void....

But the reason I write this, is not to reminisce on Cia, but to commend those that adopt older or animals in need. This is a far more noble act than adopting a puppy. There are many people out there that take in animals that no one really wants. And if not for these great people, no one would....

When I went to adopt my cat from a shelter, there were a couple of rooms just for cats with special needs. Things such as respiratory problems or feline AIDS (not like human AIDS) are what kept these cats from the general population and from being adopted. These animals, if they are so lucky to go into a shelter, will spend many of their remaining days in seclusion and then be put to sleep. There are many people out there that are able to care for these types of animals. I have a great respect for those who can and do.

We often turn a blind eye to those animals in need of rescue. How many were distraught over all the animals left without homes after Katrina hit Louisiana? There are many people all around the country that took in animals from that horrible catastrophe. It is very commendable and I truly respect these people. Had I the money to support another animal, my home would have had a few more additions!

But more to the intent of this blog....Older dogs have the least likely chance of leaving a shelter. Can you imagine going from a happy home where you love someone, to a cold place where no one cares? I cannot, and to those people who open their hearts and homes to them....thank you!

I think Pam said it best with this..."Heaven - all the animals that ever loved you will be waiting at the gate!". If they are not there, then I don't want to go!! (http://auntpama.blogspot.com/)

Remember...It is not just humans who suffer by human hands....

Labels: , ,

posted by Sonya @ 3/09/2007 03:04:00 PM,

3 Comments:

At March 9, 2007 at 10:05 PM, Blogger Pam said...

I actually considered adopting a dog from the Katrina tragedy - I couldn't watch the news reports of those poor animals that died or were abandoned - but when I saw a picture of my Treif on petfinder.com, I was in love.

He is an awesome dog, I am so lucky he came into my life.

I am glad to hear you are able to smile more. Thanks for mentioning my blog! I wasn't sure if anyone actually read it! LOL

 
At March 10, 2007 at 11:31 AM, Blogger George said...

I hope that with time you will be able to have the memories without as much pain. Be well, and may the memory always be a blessing.

 
At March 10, 2007 at 11:48 AM, Blogger Sakshi said...

@Pam - What you have done is commendable. Not many people can.
Way to go!

@Sonya - Hugs, babe!
*safer to give virtual ones than the one handed pat on the back, don't you think ;)*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Web This Blog