Site Network:

 



Eli and Emma

As you probably noticed from past blogs...I am a true animal lover. There is nothing that I enjoy more than watching or spending time with the many personalities that animals have and always share. My respect for them mostly come from the fact that they are always honest. In the world today, we don't know who to trust. When we do trust, we are often betrayed which leaves a scar whether it is internal or external always reminding us of our mistake. It is because of the unconditional love and honesty that explains why I allow the joy and pain that comes with loving animals. But do not think for one moment that I regret my decision.....

This is the story of Eli and Emma......

Eli: Eli is a cat that suffered in the past. For some reason, people in the past were not nice to him. I have never understood how people could be mean to animals or other people that cannot defend themselves, but that is a whole other issue. So, Eli now has a home where he can do whatever he likes without dire consequences (my shredded chair proves this fact). Our history started together when he was about a year old. I took him in and we bonded immediately. I think our immediate bonding was due to my living alone in Chicago in a studio apartment and his never having stability. In the beginning, we spent a lot of time together while I was taking classes and working on my Master's thesis.




The thesis project we did together....him trying to find a comfortable spot....and me trying to find that missing research paper.....






As time went on, we fell into our daily routines. I was off to school and then returned home to get some work done. But as with everything in life, changes happen. The thesis deadline drew near and I spent more and more time at the lab and less time at home. Eli was clearly not happy about this. He managed ways to show me his displeasure. In the beginning, unrolling all the toilet paper got my attention. But when the effect was not good enough, he began bringing out the trash and unrolling the paper towels all over the apartment. I understood him and tried to make him happy, but he was having none of it. He wanted things back to the way they were and that I couldn't give him. He moved into a new phase of rebellion, screaming as loud as he could all the time, whether I was home or not. That got my attention....he needed a friend that he could love......

Emma: Emma has a similar history. Someone dumped her and her sisters/brothers out on the street in downtown Chicago. Some didn't survive, mainly because they were less than 4 months old. She managed to survive the few days/weeks they were out there and a nice person picked her up and dropped her off at a cat shelter. This is where I found her. She was locked up in a little cage because she was sick and so small. I saw her and knew she would be a great match for Eli. Even as sick as she was, all she wanted was to be out of that cage and she let everyone know this, as loud as she possibly could. I knew the the match for Eli could be any cat, as long as they would love him back. Eli loves everyone and anything as long as they aren't mean to him....so this was the one condition for the new cat....they had to love him. I immediately told the people that I would take her....

I picked Emma up the next day and brought her home. It was love at first site...for Eli, of course. He never left her side, even though she wanted nothing to do with him. She hissed and moved away from him constantly....but this he didn't see.....he just wanted to be close. He was even driven to the drastic measures of doing run by lickings, just to get a lick in to show her how much he cared. You could see his careful planning of these 'attacks'.
I don't think that is was she didn't like him, but more that she still didn't feel good. I was giving her antibiotics and other medications, but she became sicker and sicker with the passing days. She started to look worse and had to be returned to the hospital. I called everyday, but they were not hopeful. Eli and I were both very sad each time we called and they explained she was a little worse than the day before. And since Eli had a piece of heaven, he was now miserable and cried non-stop. Things were very unhappy in my apartment. When we had both started to give up hope, after 7 days, Emma started to make a comeback. She finally started eating and drinking on her own (had tubes in while in the hospital) again and put on weight slowly. Eli and I checked on her everyday and patiently waited until she could come home.

Finally the day came when she could come back. She slowly adjusted and Eli watched her every move....
This story ends on a happy note. Over a year has passed and Eli and Emma are here with me in KY. They are inseparable. From the moment Emma came back, Eli has become her shadow and we both know that life without Emma would be torture. If she is even missing from the apartment for a moment, everyone hears about it. He regularly cleans her head and neck to show how much he cares and they always spend their time together. They make my life bearable these days....

Labels: ,

posted by Sonya @ 3/09/2007 01:47:00 PM,

2 Comments:

At March 9, 2007 at 10:15 PM, Blogger Pam said...

What characters! How cute they are!

:)

 
At March 10, 2007 at 11:45 AM, Blogger Sakshi said...

I have never met a cat as affectionate as Eli. To know that he had been abused but still reached out to humans! It is a lesson we should learn.
And Emma is a darling. She would be a cat that I would bring home..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Web This Blog