Site Network:

 



Ummm...Skipper....I don't see land!

Ohhhh..the memories of the moments that you wish you could have the minutes/days back and never have the experience at all... But first...a little background....

I was getting my Bachelors degree in Biology. Since even then I was a big science dork, I was working in two research labs and carrying a full load of classes. I guess you could say that I didn't have much free time and extracurricular activities were at a minimum. I tried to get home to see my mom on some weekends, but most often, I had work to do. And every so often, I would visit my dad. Mom was 2 hours in one direction and dad was 2 hours in the opposite. So a choice had to be made and I almost always chose mom. Yet, somehow guilt lead me in the other direction on this innocent spring, Saturday afternoon.

This is and always will be one of those previously described moments in my past that I wish for the time to be returned to me. To this day, I do not like boat rides. I still remember the Gilligan's Island-like terror that I felt, thinking I would never see home again. The plan started like this...

The Plan -- Dad said we were going for dinner. I agreed, little sister and I got ready to go. As we headed in the wrong direction, I questioned above mentioned father as to the location we are going. It is then that he enlightened me on the newly revised plan. We are going to take the boat out, go down river and eat at a nice little restaurant on the lake. So for those of you that do not know my dad and his friends, this sounds so nice and sweet. Oh boy are you in for a surprise.....and apparently so was I!

We pull up to the boat dock...and surprise....we have company....I knew things were going to get worse and they definitely did. So....just to make the trip a little more interesting, Grandfather and uncle were also coming. Just to set the record straight...I don't have much to do with that side of the family and I don't really know them very well. They are...how do you say politely..."different". So, with odds like that against you, you can't have that many family members together in one place and still have God smiling down on you.

And just so things are even more stacked against me, we'll also throw in a very unintelligent, irresponsible person into the mix and just for fun....we'll have him drive the boat. We will also toss in a someone, that I can barely understand..just so that this story has some twists and turns.

Well, that should do it....So off I went into the great beyond ... I am not excited about this trip and it's obvious. But, just to keep an open mind, I try to enjoy the catastrophe that is inevitable.

So, we drive for about an hour, I point this and worry that it may be hard to return later with all the turns and everything looking the same. They all assure me that it won't be a problem and to just relax. Only if that were possible!

We finally get to the restaurant...Surprise number two is waiting for me. Not only is it not a normal restaurant, but we are there to see the Elvis impersonator show with our dinner.

First, WHAT!! .....and second.... I don't like Elvis. I just knew that this is going to take a while.

The night just went from bad to worse...and it's not stopping there. Well, the dinner and show?? took a while. It is now about 10:00Pm or so. So, we finally head back to the boat around 10:30Pm and everyone piles on. We are off. You can probably figure out the problem we are about to face....it seems it could easily have been predicted...you guessed it... we are lost.....

Skip ahead 3 hours later....yup...still lost....

Skip ahead another 3 hours...I fell asleep only to wake up to ...yup...still lost. Emotions check: Sonya is not happy.

Not only that, but above mentioned country boy has pushed me up against the side of the boat and has stolen my blanket and pillow while I was sleeping. Now I am really not happy!

But, the nice person that I am....steals sleeping items back, shoves him off my area and tries to go back to sleep....

I am awakened an hour later to my dad laughing and telling me to wake up we're home. I jump off the boat, orient myself and I turn around....WE ARE BACK AT THE RESTAURANT!!

We went in circles for 10 hours to end up in the same place. Dad laughs and asks if I want breakfast...We eat, but I secretly put in a phone call to mom...she is on her way to come and get me....There is NO way I am getting back on that boat....EVER.

Epilogue...Mom shows up, little sister and I return home and I am back at school a full day later....and I have never taken a boat ride since..

Labels:

posted by Sonya @ 1/31/2007 10:59:00 AM,

1 Comments:

At February 1, 2007 at 2:30 PM, Blogger Prashanth said...

LOL... actually it sounds fun, going on a long boat ride in the night with elvis for a waiter and so on!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Web This Blog