Site Network:

 



Sometimes Life Isn't Fair...


I spent a lot of time thinking yesterday. There are moments when reality slaps you in the face and makes you realize how precious life can be sometimes. For those that know me, they understand that when an animal is injured I cannot walk away. I have many many stories from my past where I have acquired an injured animal and with few success stories did the best I could to help them. This occurred yesterday.

As I pulled out of my driveway to pick up a few groceries I had forgotten, I was stopped behind a van that backed up a little and then went into the other lane around something in the road. I too moved over to go around only to look back and realize that this driver had hit a pigeon. The animal was flopping around in the road with obvious problems.

I of course, could never drive away and put the animal out of mind like so many other do on a daily occurrence. This is truly not physically possible for me. I immediately pulled over, ran down the street and made cars go around so that I could gather the flailing pigeon out of the road.

From first glance, the wings did not seem broken and there was no sign of blood. However, the animal did not seem to have a sense of balance which is not a good sign. I took the pigeon back to my apartment and spent the next few hours sitting on the floor, knowing that it's life was going to end soon. The pigeon was in shock and fighting for the last few moments of life, as I sat holding it in my hands.

My little winged friend passed away quietly as I talked to it yesterday. It was clear from the beginning that it wasn't going to survive the trauma of being struck by a vehicle. Even knowing this, I could not let it die alone in the road where it would most likely get run over time and time again that afternoon.

So while I sat holding an injured bird scared over its fate, trying to hold on, it gave me time to think about life and all that we have.

Having someone care and support you when you need them seems to be the most important part with the rest falling in somewhere as the small stuff.

When it comes down to it, who is there to help you is all that really matters.

posted by Sonya @ 10/08/2007 10:15:00 AM,

3 Comments:

At October 8, 2007 at 12:52 PM, Blogger JugHead said...

Very touching. Am moved by your compassion!

 
At October 8, 2007 at 3:04 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

Thank you! All things deserve the respect to die gracefully...

 
At October 9, 2007 at 5:55 PM, Blogger Sakshi said...

Awww.
I am so glad you were there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Web This Blog