Site Network:

 



Someone Special....

In re-reading some of my past blogs concerning family, I feel that I have not mentioned someone that deserves the recognition. Many people will never understand this person to the full extent that is required. He is often hard to understand, stand-offish and may be a harsh critic at times. So why do I even mention him at all?

I mention him because, besides the things listed above, he is someone that will be first in line to defend his family, can always be counted on, has my best interest at heart and will stand by me when I need him. Whether it is for something large or small, he is and always has been one of the first people that I call when I need help. He is my Step-dad in all the ways that count.

I am sad to say that I never really had a father figure around to support and guide me when I was growing up. So, when my mother remarried, we all made adjustments. Initially, he was hard to understand and misunderstandings occurred. But as the years passed, he filled a role that had never really had a place before. He became someone that I could count on, ask advice and turned to when I knew others would not be there.

I look back now and try to understand exactly when I stopped thinking of him as the man my mother married and just saw him as family and then more importantly as a step-father. I came to realize that it happened much earlier than even I realized. I sit now and remember all those moments that didn't truly register, mainly because I didn't have anything to compare it to. It was in the moments that he felt the same anger or sometimes even more when I had been wronged. It was also the moments when he stood to do battle against those that had hurt me, while trying to act as though he wasn't. With the falling together of all the pieces, I realized that I had gained someone that I had never had before. A protector when I needed it and a leader when I lost my way.

But the most startling moment came a few years back. It was in a random moment that I truly realized what I gained and had been missing all along. In this moment, I understood that he acted like a father all the time, not part of the time. I actually stopped and sat when I also realized that I never doubted his commitment and promises given to me. This was a monumental moment. I could honestly say that other than my mother and sister, I had never trusted anyone else's words or promises made to me. I had finally found another person in my life that could be trusted.

As I sat reflecting, I understood the significance of what lay before me. I came to the startling realization of the fear that I had and still have concerning someone not showing up when they say they will pick me up. I realized then, that I never had that fear with him. From the very beginning, I knew that he would always do what he said he was going to do and I never doubted him, not even now.

So, I clarify my error in not putting a spotlight on a significant person in my life. Someone that has stood closely by in the good times to support me and still stood there in the bad times when I fell. Some will never understand this person, but I cannot say he has not added something previously missing in my life. He has been and always will be a missing piece of the puzzle making the picture complete.

Labels:

posted by Sonya @ 9/28/2007 12:06:00 PM,

2 Comments:

At September 28, 2007 at 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one of the sweetest things to say!

 
At October 4, 2007 at 1:25 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

@ Sakshi - Yes, it was but it was long overdue. I actually realized that I never really mentioned him from the comment Rob left on the previous post. He said Mom, Sarah and Marty. It struck me then that I have never really written about him except the Cia blog. So, I made the correction!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Web This Blog