Site Network:

 



Friday Harbor Laboratories Research

At this moment in time I sit on an island off the coast of Washington. The weather is gorgeous and the landscape makes you never want to leave. It is rounding week 3 of my 5 week course here. I can honestly say I have never been in a course so intensive, yet enjoyable at the same time. Do not misunderstand me....the work is frustrating most moments of the day, with 9 days of constant working and no data to show for the time. But honestly, I have learned more in one day here...than I could have learned in 6 months on my own.

The enriching part of this whole experience is the many different people from all around the world. We are a class of 11 and only three of these people are Americans (myself included). It is this that makes the experience even more enjoyable. I have learned new words, drinks and dances from countries all around the world. I must confess that the English-other language barrier becomes frustrating but humorous in many of those moments.

Below I show a few photos:

The class



The research station








The interesting creature I am currently dissecting



Below is an amazing detailed picture of the sea slug brain with suction electrodes attached en passant to gain electrophysiology readings of activity. What you are seeing is the 4 lobes of the brain that are fused together. The nerve in the suction electrode is responsible for foot movement during chemosensory information integration.

Labels: ,

posted by Sonya @ 6/27/2007 03:51:00 PM,

2 Comments:

At June 28, 2007 at 9:25 AM, Blogger Sakshi said...

Envy you. Great place and cool stuff... you just can not lose!

 
At July 10, 2007 at 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Awesome pics! Especially the last one... the creature is sooo tiny! god the dissection must be torture.. And its such a beautiful place too :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Web This Blog