Site Network:

 



An Amazing Stranger

For so many years now, I have been the first to be a critic of how selfish people have become. This is evident when you see people passing up long lines in which people are standing to enter at the front of the line or even in driving when all are supposed to merge and instead of merging where one should, many cars cruise to the front of the line passing so many people that have been anxiously waiting for so much longer. We see this when we know someone is having a difficult time and we do not stop to lend a helping hand. I will admit that I will not stop to help a male only because it is not safe. But I do find myself helping a woman, especially if she has children or older and clearly in need of help. I always try to hold open doors and say thank you to anyone that does the same...and yet so many times we walk up only to have them slammed our faces by those going before us. I would say the worst that I cannot stand is when you stand in a long line in the supermarket, waiting patiently with many, many people before you and another lane opens up and the people at the back of the line go first. This is very impolite, especially when it is younger people that beat out elderly people waiting in line.

I can admit that I lost almost complete faith in humanity when it came to concern for others.

Until now...

Travelling over long distance by oneself is very dangerous, especially when travelling with a young child and even more so in the winter. My younger sister has made the trip between Illinois and Georgia (and back) many times of late. Each time we all worry endlessly until we know she has reached the other destination. Luckily enough, I reside in the very middle of this trip so she can make each leg of the journey in about 6 hours. Even though it is only 6 hours, many things can go wrong to make this a very scary trip.

My new hope for humanity comes after an incident that occurred this past Monday night....

My little sister (and baby Emma) were travelling from Chicago to Lexington and were due to arrive around 5:00PM. As the clocked ticked past 6PM I became worried and repeatedly checked for her car. It is then that the phone rings and Sarah is crying to point of not being able to breathe as she tries to explain that the car had stopped working while she was traveling 80 mph in the fast lane on the interstate. For all of you that drive regularly you can understand how scary this can be when you are powerless as Semi's pass faster than they should, closer than they should. In the moment of panic, she hits a bump in the road that causes the car to turn back on momentarily leaving just enough time for her to change lanes and coast to the side. It is at this moment that I want all to imagine what this moment might be like. First, you are on a stretch of highway miles from the nearest gas station, no cell phone, the weather is around 35 degrees F, large trucks and cars are travelling at very fast speeds inches from your car, you can't pull far off the road and you have a 5 month old baby in the car. I cannot begin to explain how terrifying this moment might be. Can you imagine the complete helplessness you feel for yourself and especially for your child. The options are limited consisting of walking in freezing cold temperatures with a child that may not survive such a journey for so long or to wait for a stranger to stop and help you. Although this option seems to be somewhat safer, you now have the concerns on the type of person they are and is their help sincere or did you just place yourself and your child in a very dangerous situation. While you worry about all these things, there is the constant nagging fear that someone will not be paying attention and may strike you and/or your car most likely killing you and your child. The thought of any of the above makes my blood run cold. I cannot possibly imagine. Any yet, my sister was in this exact predicament. She chose to try and flag someone down to help her knowing it could be a very big mistake, but the weather posed a very real threat to her and her child.

My sister was fortunate that it just so happens that a tow truck was travelling to pick up a call that night. While he was hesitant to stop and almost didn't, he did. He allowed Sarah to use his cell phone, hence the very distraught voice at the other end, while he loaded up her car and drove her in the direction of Lexington so that I could get to her sooner. This man not only let her use the phone many times but also dropped her and her car off at the automotive department of Walmart since it was still open. While this amazing man helped my sister in her greatest time of need, he even offered to stop so she could get some food since it was getting late. Once the car was unloaded, he waited as long as he could in case she needed the car towed to another location. One must wonder what a trip like this would cost. Initially in my conversation with him, he stated that a rate of $30.00 would be charged and that I could pay once I arrived there. But as the trip went on, he explained that he was blessed and she was having a very hard day and he wouldn't take any money for the service. I am speechless that this man drove her more than 30 minutes and to multiple places to find somewhere still open and refused to accept payment. When he left her, the reason for her car shutting off was unknown and neither was if Walmart automotive could even fix the problem. So here is where this man goes from being great to being amazing. He said he would check back that night to see if I had gotten there to pick her up and if the car was fixable. He also said that if the car needed to be towed to another location, he would come by tomorrow and take it to where she needed it for free. When she insisted that he take some money for his time and gas, he wanted nothing from her and only took a thank you as he left her life. As I spoke to this man on the phone, he portrayed the compassion he obviously had by casually explaining she was safe and he was happy to help.

So here I sit amazed, getting chills down my spine by the generosity of one man in the most direst of consequences that in my eyes saved my sister and niece. The horrific ways that the evening could have ended are infinite and I cannot convey my gratitude for this man being there that night.

So to this man, I say thank you from the bottom of my heart and you have single handily renewed my faith in humanity.

posted by Sonya @ 12/05/2007 02:21:00 PM,

2 Comments:

At December 5, 2007 at 9:19 PM, Blogger Sakshi said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At December 5, 2007 at 9:19 PM, Blogger Sakshi said...

Wow.
Glad to see that she is OK. And sometimes a stranger to reaffirm your faith in humanity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Web This Blog